A chronicle of the first year of Caleb's life. Share with me the ups, the downs, the joys and the sorrows of this new adventure called fatherhood.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Paparazzi

Some days, Caleb must feel like he is being chased by the paparazzi with all the flashes going off in his face. There are some days that we take a lot of pictures. Many times, we'll take the same picture numerous times thanks to the magic of digital photography. Other days, we hardly take any pictures at all. I guess depends on our mood that day. Today was one of those days where we took lots of pictures. Of those, we'll probably only keep a few.

This first picture is of Caleb in his bouncy seat. It has an attachment that goes over the bouncy seat and has several jungle animals hanging from it. Caleb sat in his bouncy seat while Mom and Dad ate their dinner. Mom and Dad were surprised because Caleb seemd to be focusing on the animals hanging in front of him. It is exciting to watch him grow and develop and this is a great development. Caleb hasn't seemed to focus on objects other than our faces, so we are glad that he is beginning to look at other things.

Mom decided it would feel good to get out of the house for a little, so Mom and Caleb went with Dad to the grocery store after dinner. Caleb rode around in the Boppy sling while Mom and Dad shopped. Caleb slept most of the time. Even though Caleb seems to be pretty comfortable in the sling, Mom decided he should wear something in case the grocery store was a little cold. Mom put him in one of the shirts made by Mrs. B which I mentioned yesterday. The shirt can be seen in this photo.

We placed Caleb in a Boppy pillow for his last photo shoot of the day. A Boppy pillow can be used to support the baby while he is nursing or he can be placed in the Boppy pillow to keep him from rolling away (see the second picture). I had never heard of this product or manufacturer before Caleb came along...now I know all about them and this blog has become a billboard for their products (maybe I should try advertising on this blog...hmmmm.) Anyway, Boppy's can also used to encourage the baby to lay on their stomach and hold their his head up. Mom decided to place Caleb on his stomach. Although he doesn't hold his head up real well yet, we did get a pretty cute picture out of it.

Earlier in the day, Dad and Caleb hung out while Mom took a nap. Caleb was alert and in a good mood for a while. Dad was holding Caleb's head when Caleb reached up and behind his head to get hold of Dad's finger. Dad had to have a picture of this because it reminded me of the night Caleb was born. My first memory of Caleb will always be standing over him while he was being examined just after he was born. He was laying on the table crying his little lungs out and flailing his arms and legs about. I put my finger next to his hand and it just wrapped around my finger as if he was holding on for dear life.

For the first few minutes after Caleb was born, I was in a daze. Caleb was behind me being examined and Mom was in front of me being cared for by the nurse and the doctor. I could hear Caleb crying, but I knew he was surrounded by medical personnel, so my instinct after all these years was stay near Mom to make sure she was OK. The nurse encouraged me to go be with Caleb and Mom said it would be OK to leave her side. I went back to Caleb and as soon as he grabbed my finger, I snapped into reality and realized that my son was now a part of my world. I will never forget that moment and those feelings as Caleb held onto me looking for comfort in his first few moments in this world and he and I were able to connect for the very first time. This picture brings that moment back to me.

No comments: