A chronicle of the first year of Caleb's life. Share with me the ups, the downs, the joys and the sorrows of this new adventure called fatherhood.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 7, 2008

One Year

Caleb made it through another night again last night. There's a saying out there about "sleeping like a baby." Whoever came up with that saying surely wasn't talking about MY baby. Of course I'm grateful that he has been sleeping all night in his crib the last few nights, and he certainly looks peaceful if you go into his room and glance at him, but now we have evidence that all is not as it appears.

When Mom went into his room this morning, she found him like this with his foot sticking out of his pajamas. He doesn't fuss loudly enough to wake us during the night, but it is apparent that he does not necessarily sleep peacefully through the whole night. He obviosly fidgets enough to get his foot out of the pajamas.

Today was Mom and Dad's ninth anniversary. I wanted to take a picture of Caleb wearing this shirt because it was one year ago tonight that Mom used this little shirt to tell me we were going to have a baby. I came home from work last year and Mom was in the kitchen cooking. When I got home, she handed me a small, green gift bag. I opened it and I pulled out this tiny little white T-Shirt that says "There's Nothing Like Watching the Canes With Dad." I stared at the shirt for a minute and I meekly said "Really?" Mom said yes and we hugged. We just stood there in the kitchen holding each other for the longest time and I don't know how many times I asked her if she was serious. Every time I asked, she said yes.

That was a really special night. For a long time, before we were even seriously considering having a baby, Mom wanted to come up with a really clever way to tell me she was pregnant for the first time. I think she was wonderful and I will always remember that night.

Now, here we are a year later. Caleb's been with us for a little more than four months. I can barely remember what our life was like before Caleb came along and our life before last year seems like a distant dream now. Caleb has changed us and it is all for the better. His growth and advancement are so exciting to watch and I look forward to many more anniversaries when we get to recall two of the greatest moments in our lives: our wedding and the day we knew we were going to be parents.

No comments: